Those that were disconnected with either of the dissenting congregations now in Saltcoats, joined the General Associate congregation of Kilwinning until the death of the minister in 1793. More details may be given in the source including a list of ministers. History—The incumbent of the parish of West Kilbride, which is bounded on the southeast by that of Ardrossan, was much disliked by a number of his parishioners, who, to avoid his ministrations, attended religious ordinances at Irvine.
Upon petition to the Presbytery, they were disjoined from it, and formed into a separate congregation. After doing so for some time they obtained the cooperation of several of the parishioners of Ardrossan, in an application to the Relief Presbytery of Glasgow, for supply of sermon, which was granted in 1780. More details may be given in the source, including a list of ministers.
Parish #576 This is a guide to the history and major genealogical records of Scotland as they pertain to the parish of Androssan. Robert Simpson, the celebrate professor of mathematics in the University of Glasgow is from this parish.
To learn more about how to use these records to search for your ancestors, go to the The name of this parish may signify a highest promontory on which the remains of the Castle of the ancient Barons of Ardrossan still stand. The Earl of Edington, Archibald Cunningham of Caddel, James Carreck Moore of Corsewall, Captain John Brooks of Knockewart were the major land owners. From May 1682 till May 1725 the registers were regularly kept but have been lost. From 1802 till 1816 they are imperfect, but are now kept with great accuracy.
The record 1816–1820, is engrossed on alternate pages of the register of Births. The Kirk session dealt with moral issues, minor criminal cases, matters of the poor and education, matters of discipline, and the general concerns of the parish. Government or civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths (also called statutory records) began on January 1, 1855 in Scotland.
The Established Church of Scotland was Presbyterian.They worshiped in a hall in the town until 1801, when they took possession of a place of worship which they had built for themselves. Saltcoats was fixed upon for the seat of the congregation, as it was most conveniently situated for the great proportion of the persons composing it, and a place of worship was built there in 1784. Records—Minutes 1784–1796, 1817–1833Managers’ Minutes 1784–1909Accounts 1784–1815Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/598. Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. This congregation became United Presbyterian in 1847. History—When a patron presented a new minister to the parish of Ardrossan in 1789, the parishioners, particularly those resident in Saltcoats where the church is situated, found him to be very obnoxious and attempted to prevent his settlement, but without success. A regularly organized congregation formed soon after. After 1852 this congregation united with the West Church. History—This congregation was formed in 1844 by sympathizers with the Free Church. Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. The church was built in 1844 and the charge was sanctioned in November 1845.